Friday, September 18, 2009

inspiration: a talk with second grade





"Cinderella" (c-print, 2004) by Yeondoo Jung


One of my bridesmaids Amy sent me the loveliest email this morning that I hope she doesn't mind me sharing. In our big grown up world with responsibilities, errands, bills, appointments, negotiating, perfecting, staying above water, staying sane, being happy. Stop right there, that is what it is. When you are an adult, we check to make sure that we are happy, that the decisions that we are making are the best for us, for our home, our health and ones that may be affected by our decisions. When you are a child, in most cases you do not have to think about "Am I happy?" "What can I do to bring more joy in my life?" "What can I omit that takes away from that happiness?"

Here's the email. It is definitely going into my ceremony file as I write the words and my vows:

i have the sweetest class. the one who looks like you is adorable....
i had a kid offer to sew the hole in my tights up for me. :)
in show and tell today i told them about your wedding. i described the dress, and one of the girls suggested that i practice walking in the heels in the classroom so they could 'help me' and i could have lots of practice walking.

one of the boys said "but miss walter, what will happen to us when you are gone?"

i said its okay, i'm leaving them only for a day, they'll have a sub, etc etc.

They wanted me to write your wedding on our class calendar. i did.

toooooooo sweet."

I've asked Amy if she could ask half of the class to make a drawing about what friendship means to them and the other what love means (to them). If this is possible I hope to hang these between two trees.

The inspiration reminds me a bit of this artist Yeondoo Jung, who recreates photographs inspired by children's drawings. They are so brilliant as visual eye candy but also the notion of taking a child's world and playing kids. A bit of a role reversal, one that we really should do every so often rather than take everything so seriously.

There are so many to choose from. Here are just a few. Then go here

"Miss Sparkle Sprinkles the Magic"(c-print, 2005)

"Giant Flowers" (c-print, 2004)

No comments: