Wednesday, February 4, 2009

giving me the bird

I needed a break from the save the date mailing and I know our engagement shoot blog images (the "sneak peek") will be up on our photographer, Marlin's, blog this week. Forgive me for stalking but I work for an internet company. I sit by a computer ALL day. Can't help it. Can't help the snooping either. I think Marlin must have spoken to my mother because he totally pulled a "mom" on me. Let me explain:

When I was at that awkward pre-teen phase - in the 80s mind you - I wanted, needed, had to have this silk sky blue dress. It was a long sleeved shoulder padded satin number on top with an ivory flower design in the silk and the bottom of the dress - wait for it - was a blue spandex mini skirt. Oh don't worry, the blues were the same color so it was totally tasteful. It was made that way (tube sewn into big poufy silk top) for cripes sake. I had shown the dress to my mother as the "it" dress I wanted for Christmas. My mother is well known for hiding presents in odd places: in the dryer (before I did my own laundry), behind tupperwear, in a hamper which is precisely where I found my dream dress in it's Lord and Taylor box with the signature red rose. I couldn't wait to wear it but I carefully re-hid it (um not before trying it on first) and smiled inside knowing what was under the Christmas tree.
Christmas morning! Let the gift exchange begin (wink wink)! I opened box after box - no dress. Where was my dress? My poufy silk spandex mini dress that I needed to have? It was no where. It was like a bad dream and then the nightmare hit me hard like the piece of coal I should have got: I couldn't ask her where the dress was. I had snooped and the snoop backfired. Did she know and return it? Did she find something she thought I'd like better (wrong, Mom!)? I will never know. Years later I asked her and to this day she maintains that there never was a sky blue silk spandex dress in her laundry basket. Maybe she'll tell me on my wedding day.
Which brings me back to the bird. It's been a stressful work week and I am plum tired. SF was an amazing trip but to me the location was a little risky. The weather for one. In January. Couldn't we do LA where it's sunny every day? Then we had the shoot and I was in love. It was so perfect. So perfect that I'm ridiculously impatient (Marlin: if you are reading, take your time. I'm just blogging -crazy) Today I hopped on Marlin's blog and scrolled down just a little ....and saw the words...san....san francisco...Wait, this is it! San Francisco! That's us! I scrolled down a little more and there it was

photo by Marlin Munoz

a bird giving me the bird! Of course it's not. It's an awesome personal photo by Marlin. The bird is a cute little guy taking up that whole blog entry, I mean sidewalk. yeah, I'll admit it, you're totally cute. fine. you go first bird. really.

Now that I've written this, the dress is not really like the bird photograph at all but it feels that way. I need to get out more. Newly engaged men: if your fiance starts experiencing hallucinations, cold sweats, and rambles incessantly about things that don't make sense, do not fear, she is just a bride to be.

No comments: