Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Geek Love

Yesterday I responded to a newly engaged bee's quest for the ultimate wedding planner. Not a person silly, a great organizer with pockets and folders and post it notes in all the right places. Many realize that the pretty ones are pricey way to start your planning and that a good old fashioned three ring binder will do the trick. I did. Mine's here. Somewhere. Contracts are in it. Magazine pages torn out are stuffed inside. And that's about as far as the organization goes. What happened?

Although I read the bridal magazines, or as David affectionately calls them "the bibles" or "paperweights" there's not a whole heck of a lot happening in those magazines that I want to rip out and neatly place in my binder. I get a ton of magazine inspiration but I'm much more of an online girl. I work for an online company. I slightly addicted to the internet. I know a little too much about it. And I'm a blogaholic. So that leads me to my "real" binder which is on my computer and backed up on my external hard drive. Folders, my friends, with tons and tons of photos. Slideshows and inspiration boards I've created in Google and other photo hosting sites.
It's a great system: you find a photo, save it to your folder, done. There's your binder and dividers.

No system is flawless. Here's where mine fails me (or rather I fail it): sometimes I am in a rush and I don't exactly give the best names to these favorite images. Some have less descriptive titles such as "gorg dress like the one I tried on". Hmm. "Pretty table settings". Okay. Nevermind the items in them but how do I go about finding these images again? At my job I would add a tech request for a Google like site where you can upload a photo and it will search for it's rightful owners. Genuis right? Right because our tech guru is just that. He even programmed his new baby to be born a little early (not really but I like to think that he did). Anyhow my dream web portal does not exist Alice and said web developer is not a wedding planner.

To all of my favorite images - I will find out where you came from. I just need a little more time. Again. on the internet. The moral to the story is it's completely worth an extra two minutes to correctly label your photos. Far more important to reference the web site and if a blog, date of the post than what's actually in the photo. You can see that.

Anyone else have a great system for saving online photos?

No comments: